Monday, March 8, 2021

The Busted Pipe Chronicles Day 14: FUCK OFF! IT'S A SCHOOL ZONE!

I, like many Texans, had their pipes burst and home flooded with water. Here is my story.

I find it annoying that school zone lights are still active when many schools have resorted to distant learning due to Coronavirus. Having said that, I'm used to the school zones in my neighborhood and know how to avoid them. But now that I'm living out of this hotel, I'm experiencing how wildly people interpret 20 mph. For instance, I go through four different school zones on my daily route and each of them have their own unique bullshit.


Narrow Street

The first school zone I encounter is on a narrow two lane street where people park on both sides of the street. When they do work on this street, they have to close it and provide a detour to go around the work site. So that means traffic is at a standstill for like 15 minutes before I get to the light. Tack on a active school zone and it's like 30 minutes. I feel sorry for those trying to cross the street during this traffic jam because people would always block the intersection.


Fast Street

The speed limit for this three lane stretch of road is 40 mph. Imagine people going 50, 60 mph through three lights then suddenly have to drop to 20 in the school zone as a police car is parked at the school's drop off lane. As you would imagine, lots of screeching tires and near rear end collisions. One asshole in a lifted truck even blew his horn because I slowed down in front of him and he couldn't change lanes due to other cars slowing down as well on the sides of him. Hey buddy...FUCK OFF! IT'S A FUCKING SCHOOL ZONE!!!


Uphill

I'm not a fan of hills so having to drive up a hill is not appealing to me. Now, driving 20 mph up a hill is fucking unbearable. Every time I do it, it feels like the car is gonna stall out. And the fact that the hill starts at a light midway though the school zone is just UGGGGHHHH!!!!!


Combination

Speaking of hills, how do you make going downhill fast on a narrow, ragly street more dangerous? Put a street light in a blind corner that also starts the school zone. Once again, you get screeching tires from those who have to slam on the breaks because there's a couple cars at the red light. Like, where's the school? It's nothing but trees, train tracks, and warehouses!

As you can see, it's quite the adventure driving into these school zones.


Stay tuned tomorrow for Day 15: So Many Construction Zones... in The Busted Pipe Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment