Wednesday, April 7, 2021

The Busted Pipe Chronicles Day 42: Hackers Love Cashless Societies

I, like many Texans, had their pipes burst and home flooded with water. Here is my story.

If I was a hacker, I would love that so many businesses are shunning cash and only accepting digital payments. Millions of people using credit/debit cards, apps, phone, Bitcoin on outdated security systems that run on Windows XP? Yes Please. We seen countless times throughout the years that companies don't give a shit about keeping people's information secure, they just want to horde all the data so they can sell it and make more money. I wasn't even trying and found this list of data breeches since 2004 on Wikipedia.

Hell, Stanford had a security breech recently that got other universities wrapped up in this mess as well due to the vulnerabilities in global cloud provider Accellion, who make secure-file transfer products (FTAs). And I only took a couple days off in writing this blog and there's news about a Facebook breech. Sure that data breech is "old news" but it still happened and the stolen information is being used again by scammers and hackers. So if I wanted to do some nefarious online activities, I'm jacking off to how much personal and financial information is available to steal online because God forbid we catch germs or viruses from touching each other.

Stay tuned tomorrow for Day 43: Why Is This Soup Popping So Much? in The Busted Pipe Chronicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment