Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Top Ten Favorite Anime Dub Openings


Anime dub openings have been a lost art ever since 4Kids went bankrupt and was absorbed by Konami. Before, they would take pieces of the Japanese opening/endings and mix it with scenes from episodes they have available to original music. Nowadays, dubbers either keep the original Japanese intro and music or do a English cover of the boring Japanese song. It was quite educational doing research for this list. I learned about the process of making the intros, the backgrounds the artists came from and how the companies screw over those who worked on these projects while taking all the credit. So I wanted to show appreciation to the people who created these themes by presenting to you my Top Ten Favorite Anime Dub Openings. 

10. Sonic X Opening "Gotta Go Fast" by Norman Grossfeld and Russell Velazquez



I don't know if this theme started the "Gotta Go Fast" meme but kudos if it did. The theme gets to the point of the show, Sonic gotta go fast! I loved this show but I HATED that useless ass shitbird Chris. And, no, I'm not one of those people who automatically hate the humans like people do with Transformers. I had no problem with Chuck and Sam. I liked Topaz's partnership with Rouge. I didn't mind Mister Tanaka and Ella even though these stereotypical characters would draw the ire of Twitter nowadays (God, I missed the early 2000s. There was no Cancel Culture bullshit back then because people actually had the balls to tell these idiots to fuck off. If you don't like it, don't watch it. It's that simple.). Grossfeld and Velazquez knew what they was doing leaving him out of the intro. I feel bait and switched from the theme to the show.

I'm indifferent to the other recurring humans but super fuck Chris! He constantly got in the way always crying out SONIC! And don't give me that shit he was better in the original Japanese version. The EXISTANCE of him drags the show down. This show is supposed to be about Sonic battling Eggman but this fucker always got to get his shit in and intrude on the shot! You know how 4Kids always erase random words from the scene that makes no sense whatsoever? Removing Chris from every scene he's in would've vastly improved the show. That extra air time could've went to the best character Rouge and her sax theme!


9. Sailor Moon Opening "Moonlight Densetsu" by Dali (DIC English Cover)



Of all the shows I mention on this list, Sailor Moon is the one I remember the least. I don't remember how Serena became Sailor Moon. I don't remember any of the character's voices. I don't know why Tuxedo Mask throws a rose to distract the enemy, gives a pep speech, then fucks off while Sailor Moon is getting her ass kicked instead of fighting the villain himself. I didn't know they're all 14 year olds. And I definitely don't remember the existence of Chibi Moon or her fucking a unicorn. But what I DO remember is this theme. DIC liked the original beat but they added their own vocals to make this a catchy superhero type anthem with a Guitar rift! You'll see neXt on the list I love me some guitar solos in theme songs.


8. Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Opening 3 "Get Your Game On" by Alex Walker, Jake Siegler and Matthew Ordek



"Get your game on with Yugioh GX!" I would get that commercial all the time and I would have a blast watching this show. All three seasons used the same song but they mixed in different visuals from episodes to keep it unique. I choose season 3's intro because it was the first season I saw. I was busy watching original Yugioh so I didn't know about this season until Yugi & Friends adventures were over. Like the previous series, 4Kids did a good job of showing the good guys and bad guys of this season along with action sequences to get you hooked...all to a guitar beat! There is so much guitar action in this show, the episodes even start with a guitar rift! It's just a shame we didn't see Jaden hang with the crew in the school yard in season 4.

If I had any type of video editing skills, I would've made my own season 4 opening. For instance, at "We take them on together", I would use them running in the Japanese opening. At "Yugioh GX Generation Next" I would use the part where we see Chazz, Alexis, Syrus, and Hassleberry with their ace monsters and close that sequence with Jaden's glowing eyes. The rest of the song can be filled out with various clips from the show like usual. Walker, Siegler or Ordek (Drdek?) might even see the video and go "That's good shit pal!". What a dream that would be.


7. Yu-Gi-Oh! Opening 1 "Yu-Gi-Oh! The Main Theme" by Wayne Sharpe and John Siegler



IT'S TIME TO D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUEL! The first couple episodes had the opening narration by The Pharaoh that explains the plot and backstory of Yugi and the shadow games. Afterwards they went straight to the music. There are a lot of things you can hate 4Kids on (mainly nonsensical censorship) but their music was usually superior than the Japanese version. Japan usually puts a J-Pop or rock song in there and call it a day. But 4kids made music that set the tone of the show, became iconic for characters and are remembered to this day. Tell me you don't get chills when the orchestral plays the Egyptian God Cards Theme, you can't! And with the pedigrees Wayne Sharpe and John Siegler have, they couldn't miss.


6. Pokémon Opening 3 "Pokémon Johto" by Johto



It's a whole new world we're living in Ash! New Pokémon! New gym leaders! New Team Rocket disguises! Everything's so bright and cheery in this intro that highlights the new region Ash, Misty and Brock are in. Fun fact, the group released a CD called Totally Pokémon that includes a love song by Brock for Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy. Kaiba would never. There's also a movie version of the song that was part of Pokémon 3: The Ultimate Soundtrack


5. Pokémon Opening 2 "Pokémon World" by Russell Velázquez



Brock stayed behind with Professor Ivy so Tracey joins the party after Ash and Misty arrived to the Orange Islands. This season gets disrespected so damn much just because it's filler. Many of the hardcore Pokémon fans (those who read the manga, play the games, watch the sub) don't even acknowledge Ash winning the Orange League just because it's "not canon". Well guess what? FUCK CANON! I acknowledge this season and all the adventures they went on riding from island to island on Lapras' back. I also acknowledge how great this rap based theme is. Hell, this song is better than the current trash that passes as rap nowadays! And have I mentioned how talented 4Kids was at combining clips of the Japanese intro with clips from random episodes? They make the visuals fit the song's beat flawlessly like it's an American cartoon. As I go check out the movie version that's on the Pokémon the Movie 2000 soundtrack, you can watch the live performance of that song by Youngstown & Nobody's Angel (I know this happened in 2000 but goddamn the 90's is strong in this "music video". It's like I'm watching old MTV Spring Break shows back when they actually played music videos.).


4. Pokémon Opening 4 "Born To Be A Winner" by David Rolfe



In hindsight, 4Kids got a bit ahead of themselves calling this season Johto League Champions and this song "Born To Be A Winner". But then again, Ash is like the Peyton Manning of Pokémon trainers. He can win a bunch of gym battles but he just can't get over that hump and win the big one. Peyton was finally able to win two Super Bowls and recently was inducted into the Hall Of Fame. Ash won two regions (Yeah I said it) and whenever they decide to end the show, Ash will probably be inducted into the Pokémon Trainer Hall Of Fame.

Anyway, the song is like a remix of the original Pokémon Theme and it just gets me so hype whenever I hear it. There's Ash trying to look badass with Misty and Brock by his side. We see him squaring off against various Pokémon with Pikachu. We get a roll call of four of the gym leaders with their ace pocket monsters then later we see all eight of them standing on a mountain in shadows looking intimidating. It's quite a action packed intro, bravo 4Kids! BTW, like with the other themes here's the full version but no movie version this time for Pokemon 4Ever. While Rolfe is still active but as a producer recently getting hired by WPP as GHP.

Whitney and her Miltank are like the literal devil to those who played the games.














3. Pokemon Opening 1 "Pokémon Theme" by Jason Paige



This song is a classic. It's such a classic, the hook "Gotta Catch 'Em All" is the official slogan for Pokemon. It's so influential, there's been many fan covers and official versions of the song. Hell, other countries even broke from the tradition of using the original Japanese intro and instead dubbed the 4Kids version into their native languages! It's just too bad Jason Paige doesn't get any royalties from the iconic song. Not everyone can own their hit theme that resonates with fans around the world like John Tesh owns "Roundball Rock". And to think, I thought it was Michael Jackson singing it but Paige is doing well for himself. While I listen to the Pokémon 2.B.A. Master, you can listen to the Billy Crawford version that's on Pokémon The First Movie.


2. Yu-Gi-Oh! Opening 2 "Main Theme" (Version 2) by Wayne Sharpe



This is a more intense version of the original "Main Theme" and it fits well with all the crazy shit that went down in Battle City. And I always got a kick out of that moment we see Yami Bakura split from Ryou Bakura which perfectly syncs with the music. I believe that's the only time we see him in any of the dub intros. All the other times it's Yami or Bandit King Bakura. But at least we ACTUALLY see him in the intro while Mai Valentine gets straight up disrespected by 4Kids. You have to set the video to .25 speed and pause it here

4Kids really liked that episode where they get trapped in a RPG by the Big 5.
















and here

If Duel Links ever create skins for characters, I want these outfits in the game.














in season 1 where they do that quick scene flashes and again in season 4 to see a close up of her eye

Mai doesn't get much respect in Japan either. :(


















(A mind controlled Bandit Keith also gets the close up eye scene as his only appearance in the dub intro after Bakura). While Duke, Mokuba, Serenity, Grandpa and Rebecca show up multiple times in intros. Poor Mai but at least a Slifer Red student likes her in GX.

Homeboy sounds like he's stroking off thinking about Mai as he says her name. 







Bonus: Digimon Fusion Opening "Act as One (Digimon Fusion Theme)" by Noam Kaniel (Noam) and Frederic Jaffre



I could've put anything here as my bonus opening. I could've chose the theme song from Megaman NT Warrior Axess, Cardcaptors, Ultimate Muscle, Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Winx Club, Dinosaur King, Pokemon Advanced, Pokemon Advanced BattleViewtiful Joe, Spider Riders, Transformers Cybertron or even original Digimon. But I wanted to keep this list to songs that I truly liked and got me hype, not ones that I simply remember. So I went went the later Digi series Digimon Fusion, i.e. the first Digimon series I actually watched. Back in the day, Pokémon had a bit of a rivalry with Digimon. The fanbases of each franchise accused the other of ripping them off. And I joined in on calling Digimon a cheap ripoff of Pokémon.

To me, Digimon was just digital Pokémon that can evolve back and forth from animals to humanoid creatures. It took me awhile to realize that despite the similar franchise names, Pokémon and Digimon are completely different. So it's like Marvel and DC where they get ideas off of each other's creations. I only seen one season of Fusion since it debuted during the final years of Saturday morning cartoons on network television. Shortly after, it was just educational animal programs in their place. So I like to say to the Digimon fans out there, you guys are alright. And Noam, I never knew how important you was to anime intros until now.


Bonus 2: One Piece 4Kids Opening "One Piece Rap" by Shaun "Freshco" Conrad 



I wasn't gonna put this as a bonus since I vaguely remember the 4Kids dub due to me not watching the show. I know anime fans absolutely despise the 4Kids dub of this show and use it as one of their main reasons to shit on 4Kids in general. After reading up on how many changes they made to this show, if I was reading the manga and watching the subs, I would be pissed too. But I'm not a One Piece fan so I went ahead and watched all three versions of the rap and HOLY SHIT, this is a bomb ass intro! Fuck them 4Kids haters, if I actually cared to learn more about this show, I would've made this song number 1 on my list! Cartoon rap intros have been hit and miss throughout history but this theme absolutely SLAPS and comes with a fascinating backstory that was just revealed back in May on Freshco's YouTube account.

Shaun "Freshco" Conrad was a rapper who collabed with Jay Z and Notorious B.I.G. as well as other Hip Hop artists. His career wasn't really taking off despite his fame so he switched to sound engineering where he added sound effects to raps for various Wu Tang and Def Jam artists to make them radio friendly. Years later he joined 4Kids where he was in charge of audio for various shows like Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Winx Club and TMNT. They knew he was a rapper so they handed him a guideline of how they wanted the "Pirate Rap" to go summarizing the plot and the characters' backstory. With his experience in Hip Hop at the highest levels, he spit a sick rhyme that's fondly remembered to this day and even turned some anime fans to rap. Hell, fans even got Gilbert Gottfried to get in on the parodies, reactions and covers of this song. It's just too bad Conrad also felt shortchanged by 4Kids as well.


1 Dragon Ball Z "Main Title" by Shuki Levy, Haim "Kussa Mahchi" Saban, Ron Wasserman and Jeremy Sweet



This theme gets my dick hard. This theme puts hair on my chest. This theme got me doing Batista's entrance. My cousin would collect the VHS tapes when put together, would form a scene or some sort of wallpaper art on the box set. I would watch it whenever it's on TV. Since the time and day the network decided to air it would always change, I don't think I watched a single episode in full until Dragon Ball Super. But that didn't stop me from watching various clips from the show online like Gohan playing baseball, Goku scratching his balls, Krillin pulling Bulma's top down, (the best girl) Launch pulling out her Uzi and Chi-Chi calling Videl a hussy.

Like with One Piece and 4Kids, the original dubbers made the best intro for DBZ. In this case, the Ocean Group made the "Rock The Dragon" theme for Funimation (Man, Shuki Levy and Haim Saban was involved in everything kids programing wise). Eventually, Funimation made their own dubs since they didn't like all the edits Saban was making to the show. Ron Wasserman produced that heavy metal sound (He also did the music for Power Rangers, X-Men and various other shows) while Jeremy Sweet did vocals. Unsurprisingly, they didn't get credit so they didn't get royalties. Check out Dragon Ball Z: Original USA Soundtrack BTW.

No comments:

Post a Comment